Thursday, December 16, 2010

Smashbox - Ultimate Beauty Palette


This was the first palette I got from Smashbox - indeed it was one of the first things I bought. I somehow stumbled across it and couldn't believe what a good deal it was. Even for the 70 shadows alone, the price would have been worth it. But it also includes cream liners - one of the Smashbox products I love - along with brow powders that I use on a daily  basis and Soft Lights, which is one of my all-time favourite face highlighters. 

The eyeshadows are all quite neutral, though there is a great range of colours included. All of them can be worked into a daytime look, and it was great for me because I gravitate towards understated makeup. This could be a down side for anyone who goes in for lots of colour, however. Their 2009 Wish for the Perfect Palette had a much broader range of colours, so between the two palettes I have pretty much any colour I could want.



Products included:  
70 Eyeshadows - Mainly neutral shades  
1 Brow Tech Wax  
6 Brow Tech Powder  
8 Cream Eye Liners  
1 Bronze Lights  
1 Blush  
1 Soft Lights  
4 Lip Colour  
8 Lip Gloss 

There is very little to complain about with this palette. The brushes are completely useless (much worse than the ones included in subsequent years), but as long as you have a good brush collection that doesn't reduce the overall value of the palette. The major thing that does bother me, however, is the quite strong scent of the palette. It smells like the type of scented talcum powder favoured by grandmothers, and has a lingering, nose-irritating scent. Fortunately I've never smelled this on any of their products before or since, and their palette in 2009 didn't have any scent at all whatsoever, so this seems to be a unique issue.

Ratings:
Packaging:
5/5
Product quality:
4/5
Worth the price?
Definitely.
Would I purchase again?
No. Though it's a great deal and I do use it from time to time, I am quite sensitive to smells and the scent of this palette is quite unpleasant for me.
Cruelty-Free? Yes - appears on PETA's Cruelty-Free list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...